Saturday, July 13, 2013

Meeting #4
July 6th 2013
Duration: 150 Minutes
Attendance: Jacob, Nate

Jacob and Nate got together to go over what we have discovered about led matrices.  We figured out what we would need and designed a printed circuit board and gathered all the components in order to create one of the small logic displays.  After this we took apart our Rockler Lazy Susan bearing, cleaned out all the grease and prepared it for drilling to start the process of getting the dome mounted. Looking back on this i really should have worn gloves... At the end of the meeting the 1:1 scale blueprints for R2D2's legs were sent off to the poster printer to have a scale blueprint to trace out instead of redrawing them out.


Two halves of Rockler bearing
Rockler after being cleaned and polished

Friday, July 12, 2013

Meeting #3
June 30th 2013
Duration: 90 minutes
Attendance: Jacob, Nate

Jacob and Nate met up in the DLC in order to gather electrical components and to start brainstorming ideas for the logic displays.  after gathering breadboards, led matrix displays and many other fun electronics we got our hands on an arduino uno and starting self teaching ourselves how to create led matrix displays.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Timeline of Events

Timeline of events pre-blog

September-October 2012
Much talk of this project had been taking place between Jacob, Bob and Nate however no actions were put into place until the beginning of October when our journey began.

First Meeting: October 2nd-3rd 2012
Attendance: Jacob, Bob
Time: 90 Minutes each day
Objective: Sand/clean up wood and Dry Fit

The first part of the R2D2 has come in, during this meeting we unboxed and dry assembled the frame for the first time.  the next day we sanded down each part to get a smooth fit and kept the frame assemble in our project locker.  We were missing a piece to our back door and we received a replacement part 3 months later.

Un-assembled parts

"Second Meeting" October 2012-May 2013
Attendance: N/A
Time: N/A
Objective: Fit in any work possible during classes as engineers!

As classes became more challenging our project was put on a temporary freeze.  during this time Jacob gathered supplies and materials but no formal meetings had occurred.  A lot of individual work was done during this time frame designing over 50 different CAD Parts for later use thanks to Jacob and Nate.

First 3d Printed Part - Utility Arms
Using UGS NX7.5 we used the blueprints from the yahoo builders group to create a CAD model of the utility arms and print them out at Marquette's Engineering workshop or the DLC (Discovery Learning Center)
Utility Arms Printed in ABS

Vacuum Formed Skirt
Using the Blueprints on the yahoo builders group we created a styrene mold in our schools vacuum mold machine.

2 Pittman Motors We picked up on 
Jacob Bought These off a fellow member on the astromech forums, the one that currently has a mounting plate and a belt wheel will be used to drive the dome.

A&A Gear Set we ordered
Jacob Bought a A&A Plastic Gear set to go along with the Rockler Lazy Susan bearing that was purchased.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Welcome to Marquette University's R2D2 project.  On this site we will keep track of the progress made on this project for future reference.  While a lot of things have been done over the past year by Jacob Osborne, before this blog has been created this will be maintained by the entirely of our group of college students.

~Jacob Osborne