Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday Meeting

Meeting # Who knows
April 18th 2014
Duration: 9:00AM-3:30PM
Attendance: Jacob, Nate
Happy belated Easter! Had a very productive Good Friday. Started off with a trip to Walmart to pick up some groceries and supplies. Notable tasks were complete during this meeting: -Fixing, re-gluing the skin to the frame. -Second coat of paint on silver layer of helmet. -Heat treated silver layer of helmet to fit onto the bottom, blue layer. -Almost completely constructed the leg assemblies. -Fixed door to fix into body. We still have a lot left to do, but hopefully we can have another productive meeting soon and be able to have something to show to Marquette on Star Wars Day (May 4th). ~Nate

Cad Parts Painted
Underdome with cut out marks

shoulder hubs
Dome Ring

Leg 2
Leg 1
Fixing top corners of skins


Meeting #:
Attendance: Jacob, Bob
Time: 9:00AM-10:30AM
Date: 04/18/2014

just a short friday meeting between classes.  we took some time to add a few staples with a staple gun to help hold on the skins as we touch up on a few spots.  also we attached the skirt using some countersunk screws and glue.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Quick Check Up on Glue

Well after 3 days of drying time for the wood glue i decided to check on the skins to see if they would stay attached.  Unfortunately the small end pieces near the location of the shoulder hubs came off.  Spend some time re gluing those locations and will let it dry until our next meeting on April 16th.


Sunday, April 6, 2014

Weekend Meeting

Meeting # Who knows
April 5th 2014
Duration:  9:00AM-4:00PM
Attendance: Jacob, Nate

got a lot of work done today.  Starting out with a quick run to home depot with Nate we were able to pick up another sheet of 1/2" birch plywood to attempt to finish off the legs as well as some paints and misc. hardware for the legs.

a few notable things that got done this meeting

* Outer and Inner most parts of legs machined
* Inner square for legs glued
* Should hubs machined and glued together (made them 1" by using two 1/2" pieces instead of 3/4" due to not wanting to spend another $20 on a sheet of birch wood.)
* Skins cut out, sanded and test fit our 3d parts in some places
*Front Skins Attached for now (became a much bigger mess that i thought it would)

As for the skins i am very happy i did not attach the back skins yet because i realized i was jumping the gun and still need to drill my home for the pipe to fit through the body of R2.

Glue we used to attach skins
Dome Ring made from 1/2" birch
in progress

Shoulders gluing in place.
Inner part of leg glued into place

Skins being cut out by Nate
Make shift way to attach skins and
hold them in place

Friday, April 4, 2014

Marquette University

Well after some shocking news... we were asked to post the link to our groups blog on the Marquette University website.  With our incoming traffic almost tripled at this point i am hoping that this project will inspire other Marquette students to go out and take on their own personal projects and use what they learn in their engineering classes in a fun and creative way.



Quick Updates

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on what has been going on since the last update.

* Door was made and inserted into the wooden frame (a few fixes from spring break update).
* Rocklet bearing was installed properly and hardware switched out.
* Outer dome was sanded down in an attempt to fix the painting mistake from earlier.
* Realized i bought the wrong type of glue to attach the skins/skirt to the frame.
* Preformed some tests with different types of glue to find out what would work best.

pictures to come soon!